Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 2 Dundee United

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 Dundee United

Scottish Cup Third Round Replay
Aberdeen scorers: Yorston 1, Rodger 34, Yorston 51.
Dundee United scorers: Dunsmore 77, Grant 86 (pen)

27/02/1952 | KO: 15:00

Lively Dons Won No Medals For Marksmanship

A Yorston goal in the first minute sent the Dons off to a flying start in the replay of thir third round Scottish Cup tie against Dundee United.
Rodger slammed home a second to make it 2-0 at the interval.
Conditions were well-nigh ideal.
Both clubs announced they would rely on the elevens that did duty last Saturday. There was promise a of a 30.000 crowd shortly before the kick-off. 

Great Start
Sensational opening! Within minute the Dons had scored the first goal to take the initial step towards round four. It started with Anderson who made ground before sending the ball up the middle. Rodger reached it with his head and sent it accurately to Boyd.
Quick off his mark, the winger beat Berrie and switched the ball across goal. Up popped the ubiquitous YORSTON and the ball flashed into the net off his head.
A great start! Just what was needed to set Aberdeen on the happy road to Hampden.

All Aberdeen
It was all Aberdeen. Harris rocked Wyllie, in the United goal, with a mighty drive from thirty yards, and Rodger teed the ball up for Yorston to fluff the shot.
The  Tanadice team had been badly rocked by the loss of the early goal. They started to send out attacking patrols, but they were given no encouragement by Thomson, and soon the Dons were back on the offensive.
Anderson moved up to accept a Baird pass, but the right-half sent the ball straight at Wyllle.
A lively raid by Cruickahank, of the United looked dangerous, but Thomson dived sideways to head clear.

Off The Beam

Although the Dons had lost their initial fire, they were still dictating. Twice, however, former Aberdeen junior George Cruickshank created what might have been dangerous situations, but on each occasion United's inside men were missing at the psychological moment.
Aberdeen raided on both wings and Yorston was their most persistent shot. Since his clever opening goal, however, the Dons’ Inside right had been off the beam.
Wyilie held a free kick from Harris and a counter-raid by United on the left ended in Quinn sending over.
A big thrill in the Tannsdice goalmouth in twenty-five minutes. Baird suddenly switched the ball up the middle and Yorston brought it down to fire a sizzler along the ground.
With a crab-like dive Wyllle brought off an excellent save.
In the next minute Rodger burst his way past Ross, but the centre-half, with praiseworthy presence of mind, flicked the ball away from behind.

The United were a livelier team now, and they had the Aberdeen defence working actively, but there was a lack of incision near goal.
The thrills were at the "B" Leaguers’ goal. After Wyllie had saved from Rodger at point blank range. Yorston failed to make the kill in the goal-mouth and then Boyd sent past. The Dons could have had a second goal here.
Aberdeen, however, struck again in thirty-four minute - and a quick neatly-taken affair it was. Anderson thrust the ball up the right and in a twinkling, Yorston turned it along the ground to RODGER. The centre did not delay - he slammed the ball past Wyllie.
Aberdeen were definitely on top now. United were fighting a hard defensive battle.
Baird almost snatched a third goal when he rose above a ruck of players in the goalmouth to head a corner from Pearson inches over.

Half-time: 2—0

Yorslon Mak’s Siccar

Summing up - Aberdeen thoroughly deserved their two-goal goal lead. They had proved they were the better team this half. They had more drive at half-back and more power and initiative in attack. That first-minute goal had made the Dons.

Rodger Baulked
Only an early second-half goal could revive Dundee United’s hopes. They were not given much chance to stage a recovery.
A long upfield punt by Baird saw Rodger speed his way past Ross and bore in towards goal. As he delivered his shot Wyllie left his charge and blocked the at his feet.
The Dons were full of confidence now and United’s effort; to create attacking movemens were confined to speculative drives up the middle.
The Aberdeen defence dealt efficiently with these attempts.

Yorston Again
With six minutes gone Aberdeen were in a position to start making their arrangements for the Dens Park game.
A long ball from Baird found possession. Cleverly the Dons' leader flicked the ball past Ross, and YORSTON ran on to it to give Wyllie no chance with a rip-snorting drive.

Source: Evening Express, 27th February 1952
Edited by Norman MacDonald

The Dons made it look difficult tor themselves In the replay against Dundee United. It should have been about 6-0 not 3-2, in Aberdeen's favour.
The way is now clear for the fourth round tie against Dundee's other representative on Saturday March 8. According to what Mr George Anderson the Dens Park director-manager, told me on Tuesday the tie on Saturday week will be an all-ticket game.
Between five and six thousand Aberdeen enthusiasts travelled to Tannadice for last Saturday's game, and a bigger support is likely to make the journey to the more spacious Dens Park.

IT will oe doped that the Pittodrie forwards have recovered from their attack of squandermania before the Dundee match. Far too many scoring chances were "refused" against the United.
First half goals by Yorston and Rodger established the Dons as almost certain winners at the interval. During this period the wing half backs. Anderson and Harris, were at their aggressive best and the former played a leading role in the movements which led to the goals.
Chances were missed this half, but not with the same reckless abandon as after the interval. When Yorston notched the third counter in fifty-one minutes the forwards lost their shooting boots.

ALTHOUGH Yorston made a valuable contribution both he and Pearson were guilty of goalmouth indiscretions in the second period. The left winger did not appear to be at all happv yesterday.
Rodger led the line well and distributed play with keen intelligence. The reserve centre-forward is certainiv entitled to his place on the form he has shown since his promotion.
It seems somewhat ironical, however, that a player of the proved ability of Hamilton has to accept the role of onlooker.
Shaw played well at back against the United, and Emery showed some improvement on the Tannadice form, although he did not inspire confidence at times.

THE left back was perhaps a trifle unlucky to have that penalty awarded against him four minutes from the finish. Grant made full use of the spot kick.
The United's first goal was scored after seventy-seven minutes' play. Martin appeared to be at fault when he was beaten by Dunsmore from twenty yards out, but the 'keeper may have been unsighted.
The crowd at Pittodrle yesterday was 27,000 and the receipts £18OO.

Source: Evening Express, 28th February 1952
Dundee United Teamsheet
Wyllie, Swan, Berrie, Downie, Ross, Mitchell, Quinn, Grant, McKay, Dunsmore, Cruickshank
Attendance: 30,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: G. Mitchell
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride